by VentureStreet  Join Our Network
Study reveals 60% of work interruptions are caused by Social Media Activities
By



The study about workplace distractions commissioned by e-mail provider hormon.ie found that traditional activities such as phone calls, talking with co-workers, and ad-hoc meetings account for 43% of workplace disruptions. The remaining 57% are split up as follows:

23% Email Processing
10% Switching windows to complete tasks
9% Personal Online Activities such as Facebook
6% Instant Messaging
5% Text Messaging
3% Websearch

Furthermore, multiple devices on the desktop contribute to the problem. 65% of the participants surveyed reported that they were using up to an additional 3 devices. In fact, 45% of employees work only 15 minutes or less without getting interrupted, and 53% waste at least one hour a day due to all types of distractions, the report found.

At $30 per hour that 1 hour of lost productivity translates into $9600 in lost productivity per year (320days x $30p.Hr.)

What can be done? It certainly is impossible to turn the clock back and neither do we want to. Here are a few tips.

Some employers have subscribed to the idea that blocking all web access or at least severely blocking access it the right way to go. But as it turns out, this approach can actually HURT employee productivity. Survey after survey shows that allowing workers to do at least a limited amount of Web surfing, even on “company” time, makes workers more productive, not less.

So what do to? I think the answer is to finely tune what can be accessed. Since most distracting devices and applications require internet access and therefore have to go through the firewall router, this is the point where fine tuning can actually occur. The technology is called Unified Threat Management. Yes, it sounds draconian, but when implemented sensitively can not only reduce wasted time but also create a much safer internet environment.

Although technology plays a fundamental role in reducing risk from employee behavior, equally important is end-user education. It is important that staff understand the importance of the organization’s security policies; individual employees need to understand that they also have a role to play in their company’s security. It is a three-pronged approach - leave any one of these elements out then the business may be vulnerable to exposure.



Need some help with your human resources? Get matched to local HR specialists near you.
Find HR Companies
Other articles you may like:
CT Is the 1st State To Mandate Paid Sick Leave
Effective January 1, 2012 certain employers will be required to provide 5 days of paid...

Entrepreneurs and Job Hunting
Many Entrepreneurs have a 'day' or 'night' job, while they are building their business.

Best Practices to Select “Successfully Matched” Employees
One of the biggest challenges facing HR professionals in the highly competitive and...

CPR For Job Seekers
"My interview is today, what am I going to do, oh boy, oh man. I'm nervous. I'm...

Entrepreneurs: How do You Empower Your Employees?
The benefits of empowering your employees and recognizing their untapped value to the...

Be the first to find this article helpful.
Need some help with your human resources? Get matched to local HR specialists near you.
About the Author

Johannes Banck, Computer Systems Support & Design, LLC
Weston, CT 06883
(203) 216-9902

Contact Author: request info

If you would like to re-print this article, please contact the author.
Other articles you may like:
You're Turnover Number Doesn't Bother you?...It Should!
Excess Turnover can be very costly. Here's why and some tips on how to avoid it.

Alternative to the Annual Review
Annual employee performance reviews may do more harm than good

Identify and Hire Top Performers
The key to retaining employees starts in the interview process

And All Other Duties As Assigned
Job descriptions are a useful management tool, but many smaller companies don't keep...

Why Is The HR Department Treated So Badly?
Of late I have seen more lack of appreciation of the HR professionals and the...

Editorial Disclaimer: The views expressed in articles published on this website are those of the authors alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of this website or its staff. The articles on this site do not constitute a recommendation or endorsement with respect to any views, company, or product. Authors affirm that article submissions are their original content or that they have permission to reproduce.

Home   |   Articles & Videos   |   Affiliates   |   Networking Groups   |   Search by Category   |   Professionals

Terms of Use   |   Privacy   |   About Us   |   Contact Us   |   Member Login

© 2003-2014 - VentureStreet, LLC

Join Our Business Network